RSS FEED

A Little Sparrow Sang To Me

I was out in town that day
through busy streets and alley ways
as often times my gaze was tied
to cobbled stones and dusty strides
in thoughts and deeds a solliloquay
a lonely and dispassionate lad.

Moving on through busy throngs
deftly stepping won't tarry long
my business brisk then off to home
for in this town I am all alone
never to be or ever to belong
on these foreign shores never my own.

Then a gentle rumour tickled my bones
a windy flavour borne by flighty tunes
upon eaves I glimpsed a dappled creature
clad in yellow feathers and merry cheers
and where it danced the very sky did shone
in its song a melody of million laughters.

In that empty maw where my heart is kept
a spark, a flicker, a once forgotten light
"awaken!" sang the sparrow "tarry not in dreamless state"
"remember" it said "life is like a piece of cake"
"to reap its flavour, the happy or the sad"
"you must take a bite and taste what life dictates".

I was intriuged and just interested enough
to began to seek this little sparrow of laughs
but even as I raced to where I spied it last
it would jump, hop and fly away too fast
here and there, I was led around the bough
but catch that litle bird I never did, alas.

Until later, much later did I surrender to rest
for my stength was drained by this silly little jest
then the sparrow did perch once more over my head
and whispered "tarry not for there are dreams to be had"
then it up and flew away leaving me with nothing at best
but beyond that flighty bird, there are other things that life begets.

I lifted my eyes and found in wonder
that the streets does seem to be now a little calmer
the alleys are no longer darkened in shadows
but are sprinkled with life's many rainbows
there are people here that I once never would hear
and things to do that would keep me for hours.

I have wandered far it seems in pursuit of the sparrow
that I have found again what I have long enclosed in the shadows
my downcast eyes are free to roam all the colours
my shuttered heart now feel all of life's little flavours
long have I ambled on this path of straight and narrow
now am I free to wander to reap what life has to ofer.

I am out in town most these here days
through familiar streets and friendly alleys
as often times my gaze would sweep
at all the richness that life does keep
of all the things, the people, the sights and sounds at play
O! what a lovely place is this here town indeed.

A little sparrow sang to me
a song of life and in all its glee
though I never did see that sparrow again
I would sometimes hear its song in refrain
"awaken" it would say "harken to me"
"for life is never meant to be in vain".

0 postcards:

Post a Comment

Return top